BEE- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
BEE- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) grants STAR RATING of appliances depending
upon their energy efficient design and performance.
To provide consumers with informed choices on the standard of the products being sold in the Indian markets Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was created under the Ministry of Power in Government of India. In 2010 Government made it mandatory for certain items (as follows) to have these special labels and ratings being assigned for their performance on the products to let customers take right choices they are going to buy.
About the BEE qualification program
As mentioned earlier, the BEE sets the standards and the label to mark the star rating of various devices. They also define testing and certification procedures for all types of devices.
When manufacturers create a new model and want the product to be certified, they test their device according to the procedures designed by BEE and request the certification of stars with test data. Based on the test data, the BEE provides a star rating for the devices. EEB continues to refine certification standards and procedures periodically. For more information about the BEE qualification program, contact us now.
For certain products BEE has defined minimum standards for which a product must pass in order to get license to sell in Indian markets. Now there are set protocols, standard testing, procedures and rules for each respective product category that must be fulfilled in the accompanying forms to attain the right labels from the BEE.
These labels are the certified markings that are stamped on the product i.e. star ratings from 1 to 5 provided different performance level for each product category. For labelling BEE works with technical committees of experts and stakeholders, comprising of representatives from industry, industry association, consumer organizations, academia,
There are two types of label found on products in India
- Comparative label: Using these label, there are specific markings of between the different models of the product giving customers the right information i.e. Star ratings 1 to 5 with BEE logo and license number on it.
- Endorsement label: In this products are marked for their minimum performance criteria for their respective product category like BEE certified etc
Major Activities of BEE
BEE does both regulatory and promotional activities. As part of regulatory activities it does following:
- It sets performance standards for appliances and designs labeling scheme for the same. The star rating of various appliances like AC, Refrigerators, Fans, Pumps, Water Heaters, etc is part of this mandate that they have.
- They develop energy efficiency code for buildings and Industries.
- They certify Energy Managers and Energy Auditors who can perform energy audits.
- They develop norms for energy consumption.
As part of their promotional activities they do:
- Create promotional programs for energy efficiency, star-rating and other awareness programs.
- Arrange and organize trainings for people who can do energy efficiency projects.
- Develop testing and certification procedures and promote testing facilities.
- Promote innovative financing of energy efficiency projects
- Give financial assistance to institutions for promoting efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Prepare educational curriculum on efficient use of energy and its conservation
OUR Role for BEE Star Certification
- Filling the application form with all correct information.
- Going through the Company Registration process
- Filling the separate Model registration form
- Renewal process for Manufacturers/Products
- Coordinating with the whole testing procedures
- Facilitating the whole BEE Certification until completion
List of Mandatory Products
- Frost Free (No-Frost) Refrigerator
- Tubular Florescent Lamps
- Room Air-conditioners
- Distribution Transformers
- Room Air Conditioners (Cassette, Floor Standing Tower, Ceiling, Corner AC)
- Direct Cool Refrigerator
- Electric Geysers
- Color TV
- VARIABLE CAPACITY AIR CONDITIONERS
- LED LAMPS
List of Voluntary Products
- Induction Motors
- Agriculture Pump Set
- Ceiling Fan
- Domestic LPG Stove
- Washing Machine
- Ballast (Electronic/Laptop)
- Office Equipment (Printer, Scanner, Copier)
- Diesel Engine for Agriculture Purpose
- Solid State Inverter
- Diesel Generator
- Microwave Oven
- Solar Water Heaters